Thursday 2 January 2014

30 Day Plank & Squat/Lunge Challenge: Day 1

Happy New Year and all that good stuff!!

As you may have read (if you haven't errr.....why not??), I did a 30 day abs challenge last summer in support of my beautiful friend at http://thirtyafterthirty.com (I should mention we're going bungee jumping as part of our something new challenge).  I had a lot of fun with that and blogging about it enhanced the experience a little and helped keep me motivated when I would have gotten bored with things.

So in the spirit of the new year and the Thirtyafterthirty philosophy, I am doing a few challenges for 30 days and will be documenting my progress (part of the challenge) as I go along. I'm on a couple of exercise challenges (see below pictures) as well as getting back into the regular fitness/training track with the (conveniently titled) Jillian Micheals' 30-day shred. It's a quick 20-30 minute workout which is very good in conjunction with the pictured challenges (& any others I may come across in the course of the 30 days).
Another challenge is my water intake; I plan on having at least 2ltrs of water per day. I am currently on day 25 of no coffee (those that know me well enough know it's a little tough, on a positive note at this point  no longer feel like stabbing people I see enjoying coffee when I can't.so yeah, progress and all that) which has increased how much water I drink but it's still no where near as much as I should. This challenge should help.
I am also on a 30 day blogging challenge, writing a blog per day (writing about the exercise challenges daily should cover it, 2 birds 1 stone ;) ).
As time goes on  I will be adding challenges I think suit me & I'd enjoy but for now, the plank and squats/lunges challenge:




























Day 1: I chose the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred because it's been a while since I have done a proper work out...trying to ease myself back into things slowly. I've previously done the workout up to level 3 (and some days I've done all 3 levels when I'm feeling fancy) so I figure level 2 will be the right balance between easy and challenging. Err...well it goes to show just how long it's been since proper exercise, I got a little winded but not entirely terrible...feels good to be doing somethin after a few months. The plank challenge wasn't difficult which I expected, had a brief moment of wanting to go beyond time set but think I'll pace myself and stick to the times (at the moment). Squat and lunges challenge was quite good. I'm not a fan of either but it's great for the core, pelvic muscles and a great ass....all things one should look forward too ;). I did 15 lunges on each leg which is fine for now, but then I look at day 31 (yes, this is the point I noticed it's a 31 day challenge and there are no rest days..I should have paid more attention) and  see 70 lunges....God help me!

So sit here at 1am of day 1 (which technically puts us in day 2, but I've never been one to worry too much about technicalities), trying to quickly down my last 0.5ltr of water cos  can't have failed this one from the gate. Exercise done, blogging done (as you will see) & water almost done!!

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment